Major named storms can cause a myriad of problems to a building exterior envelope. Straight-line winds, driving rain, and sustained high winds, increase the chance for roof system damage or failure and may require professional attention to repair. During these events, it is important to remain cautious in your selection process for hiring a contractor. Waiting while your roof system may be in a state of disrepair can be incredibly stressful but taking the appropriate amount of time to vet a service provider to hire could save you thousands or tens of thousands of dollars over the long-term. We do recommend getting dried-in as soon as possible to stop the water from damaging your assets inside your building. But, when it comes to fixing your roof, whether a leak or an entire re-roof, you need to hire vetted professionals. The dangers of hiring a contractor that follows storms around the country with no roots in your region can be detrimental to your business. We have compiled a list of 8 things to look out for when hiring a roofing company after a big storm!
- Endeavor to hire a local contractor in your state or region. This will help ensure the company is able to respond effectively to any future needs regarding the installation.
- Make sure they are licensed and insured.
- Are they reputable? Do a quick search for reviews or feedback. If you can’t find any, that could be a red flag.
- Ask for a copy of their certificate of insurance that should cover general liability and worker’s compensation. If they cannot provide it, they may not have it and you could be liable if someone is injured while fixing your roof.
- Stay calm and think through your decision. Traveling contractor’s often may use fear and anxiety to their advantage, and this is when mistakes can be made in the contracting process leaving you with less than you thought you were receiving.
- If it is a repair get a Not-To-Exceed price before they start. If you can get a firm estimate or quote before, even better! You want a written price, so you have no surprises following the completion of the work.
- Never make a down payment! You should always pay after the work is complete -never before.
- Do they guarantee their work? Read your warranty. Ensure the warranty is protective and actionable.
Many of these companies that follow storms are in and out. They come and do minimally acceptable work (or less!) and leave right after the storm is gone. We highly recommend taking some extra time to make an educated decision. You’re investing in your property, your team, and what matters most to you! Please be safe during the storm.
Have questions to help on your decision? Call at 774-245-6455. We would love the opportunity to inspect your roof and help you resolve any potential issues that could result in costly repairs.